RSS

Guest Writer: DJ from DJ's Sugar Shack!


Guest Writer:
Dawn Johnson (DJ)
What is your name? 
Dawn Johnson (DJ)

Where do you live (Or where you grew up)? 
I' originally from New New Orleans. I now live in Girdwood, Alaska

What's your favorite recipe (Can be your own)? 
This is tough, but lately I've been in love with a Thai Curry Shrimp Curry over Coconut Ginger Rice. It doesn't require to much prep work, its simple and so good. I think I make it for dinner once a week.

What's your favorite kitchen tool? 
With out a doubt, my kitchen Aide stand mixer. It took me a long time to break down and buy one, but now I don't know how I ever lived with out it.

 What do you live by in life? (Your motto, a quote, a verse etc.)  
I have 2 quotes that I love. The first in kind of silly, but it is something my Grandfather used to say a lot when I was younger. "Whoever don't love this life must be crazy." I just helps me keep things in perspective during rough times. Things may not always turn out the way you wanted but in the end it all works out for the best.
The second is something I read in a book called A Dog's Purpose, "Failure is not an option if success is just a matter of more effort." I think that is a pretty good motto to live by.

A short paragraph about yourself
I was born and raised in New Orleans. When I graduated from college I decided to spend a summer working in Denali National Park in Alaska. Twelve years later, I'm still here. I live in Girdwood, Alaska, home of Alyeska Resort, Alaska's largest ski resort. I love the outdoors and all the adventure that Alaska offers. Oh yeah, I Love to Bake. Until I moved to Alaska, I hadn't done much cooking or baking at all. But once I started I couldn't stop.

A short paragraph about your blog
DJ's Sugar Shack is a fairly new baking blog. I started blogging in December because I wanted to share my interest with other bakers. Although my friends and family eating my treats, I'm pretty sure that they don't really care how or why I decided to bake something. Rather than boring them with the details, I started writing about my adventures in baking. I'm am truly amazed by all of awesome feedback treats have gotten in the past few months. I never imagined anyone other than my mom actually reading my posts. It is so nice to share my work with others who share the same passion for baking.

A step by step recipe: Chocolate Zucchini Bread. 
This is a favorite in my house that usually doesn't last for more than a day. It has a very rich chocolate flavor and almost is more like chocolate cake than a bread.

Ingredients:
2 oz of unsweetened chocolate, melted ( 2 squares of Baker's Chocolate)
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 cups grated zucchini, approximately 2 large zucchinis
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
2. Grate zucchini and set aside.

3. In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, salt, & cinnamon

4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed combine mix the chocolate, eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla & zucchini.

5. Stir in the flour mixture. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick insert in middle comes out clean.

The URL to your blog-  www.djssugarshack.com

Thanks DJ's Sugar Shack for sharing!
If you would like to be a guest writer click HERE

1 Lovely Thoughts:

Winnie said...

Very interesting recipe
It looks rich and moist
I'm curious now so hopefully I'll try it soon

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Total Pageviews

Follow Me on Twitter!